Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Getting to school

Junior went to school on his own today. He is ten years old. Sounds like no big deal, right?

In fact it is rather a big deal. I was divorced from his mother when he was three. In the last seven years I have lived a considerable distance away from kindergarten, school, and after school. So in the last seven years we have spent countless hours on busses and commuter trains together. Talking, reading, playing, and sometimes sleeping. Today was the first time that he went to school on his own.

What finally prodded us to take this step was the savings in time and money. He can go on his own for 15 Danish crowns, I can go with him for 32 crowns. It takes him less than an hour, but I work at home today and so would use two hours on the trip and return trip.

I am happy and sad. Sad that he is growing up and that we will be spending less time together, happy and proud that he is gaining in independence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) performs a compelling monologue on the disadvantages of pride in "Pulp Fiction". However, it seems fair to assume that Marsellus has yet to experience fatherhood.
Being blessed (and cursed!) with two children of my own I am constantly astounded at the 'size' of events. My daughter's first unsupported steps are eminent, my son's vocabulary extends almost daily, and despite the repetitive pattern - most of this has been going on daily for 60.000 years and beyond, worldwide - I feel pride ("f*ckin' wit me") on a regular basis.

So I think I know something of what you're dealing with - so I'd like to congratulate you with this new chapter of parenthood. I'll be following your blog to see if he made it home in one piece (intended
cliffhanger?).